Painting can be really relaxing but also time-consuming and a pesky activity if you don’t like following rules. Painting your home can sometimes cost you an arm and a leg, but this is why you recommend people go for low-cost paints. Want to make your own paint but don’t know how? Don’t worry, and it’s a breeze! But to succeed in this task, you must follow specific steps. Find out by reading this article!
Ingredients and tools needed.
To make paint, you will need certain ingredients and tools: a blanc de Meudon, potato starch, pigments, water, a pan, a whisk or spatula, containers, a drill, and a brush.
Before proceeding to make the paint, consider the following four points:
- The starch in potato starch is very sticky. This is why you should not buy a mixture of starch varieties. Otherwise, you will get a disastrous result.
- The pigment dosages prescribed for each preparation must be respected in order to obtain the desired shade. Experiment with pieces of cardboard, testing different pigment dosages.
- Pigments tend to lighten under the effect of the Meudon white. For this reason, a much darker shade than desired is required. Before covering an entire wall, consider testing on cardboard and letting it dry. This will help you determine which shade to choose.
- The homemade paint you prepare should not be stored for more than two days.
- The steps to prepare the paint
- There are three distinct steps to preparing homemade paint:
1. The preparation of the paint base: you will need potato starch and water to make this paint base. The amount of starch should be equal to 1/15 of the weight of water. So, for 500 ml of water, the amount of starch to pour is 33.33 g. Here is how you will prepare this paint base: first, pour water into a saucepan, add the starch, then mix everything together. Then heat and constantly stir with a spatula or whisk. The resulting paste should look like glue.
2. Tinting: This step involves making a new mixture to tint the homemade paint. To accomplish this task, proceed as follows: pour cold water and blanc de Meudon into a container and mix. The amount of blanc de Meudon should be close to that of the water. For example, for 3 liters of water, you should pour 2.5 kg of blanc de Meudon. In case you mix a large quantity, use a whisk. Once the color is prepared, pour the paint base.
3. Preparation of the pigments: this last step allows you to obtain the desired color. But as mentioned earlier, you should always experiment. Here are the steps to follow: pour cold water into another container, then dilute the dose of pigments of your choice in it. Then mix it with the paint base you prepared beforehand. Apply the paint to a piece of cardboard and let it dry to see the result. If it does not match your expectations, add pigments to darker the paint. But be careful; make sure the dosage is always proportional to the base, or you risk saturating the paint. Keep experimenting until you get the color you want.
There are several ways to make paint yourself. But the one mentioned in this article is the most economical. Indeed, the prices of the tools needed for this preparation are affordable. Homemade paint is ideal for painting a small area. Therefore, you can’t use it to paint an exterior wall.
Sound off in the comments section below and tell us what you want to read next. The color you choose for your home should make you happy, and this is one of the primordial things to consider while selecting the color for your home.